Our program is flexible.
What: You choose what you want to learn. These are your goals. Your tutor will create lessons just for you. For example, you can learn how to:
- Apply for a job,
- Read a book to your children,
- Make a doctor's appointment,
- Get a driver's license, and so much more!
When: You choose when you want to schedule your lessons. You decide with your tutor on a day and time for lessons.
Where: You and your tutor decide where you will meet. During the COVID-19 pandemic, you will learn online using the internet. After COVID-19, lessons will be in the library or a public place.
How Long: You will meet with your tutor every week for one hour. The time you spend with LVSC will depend on you. Every student is different.
How do I get a tutor?
- Click here to apply online.
- LVSC will contact you to schedule a short English test. The test will tell us about your abilities now. During COVID-19, the English test will be on Zoom. There is a $10 fee.
- LVSC will contact you when a tutor is available. There is a $50 administrative fee when you are matched with a tutor. If you cannot pay $50, please pay what you can.
- You will meet every week with your tutor. During COVID-19, tutoring will be on video chat or on the phone.
- Work with your tutor on your personal goals. Examples of personal goals:
- Read to your children
- Complete a job application
- Get a driver's license
- Become a U.S. citizen
- Understand job-related materials
- Talk with children's teachers and help with homework
- Read menus, medicine bottles, and street signs
- ...and much more!
Why are there fees?
LVSC is a volunteer organization. It is not part of the government or the library.
- $10 is the cost to take your English test.
- $50 is the cost to process your application and match you with a tutor. If you cannot pay $50, please pay what you can.
Tutoring and classes are free.
The first step is to apply. Then you will take an English test. It costs $10 to take the test.
Please note: during the COVID-19 pandemic, LVSC's policy is that all lesssons are virtual. Lessons will NOT take place in-person.
Did you know?
LVSC is not a government funded organization. We are a volunteer-driven non-profit which is funded through donations, grants, and event proceeds. Donations stay local and help us to recruit and train volunteers to teach English literacy.