Tutor-Student Meeting Policy
The LVSC meeting policy has been updated to reflect the changing COVID guidance in New Jersey.
LVSC REVISED MEETING POLICIES (effective 7/1/2021)
Literacy Volunteers of Somerset County (LVSC) is committed to providing a safe environment for our tutors, students, and staff. Remote tutoring is still the recommended option for tutoring. If you and your student(s) would like to meet in person, you must have a specific conversation which covers the following:
- You must comply with your location's rules on mask wearing and distancing.
- Even if state law or the tutoring location does not require masks, if either you or your student(s) prefer to wear masks, this choice must be respected.
- Click here to read the CDC's recent guidance on mask wearing, vaccination, and risk of infection/spread of disease.
- Please choose a public location to meet such as a library, park, coffee shop, etc.
- Libraries are the most common choice for tutoring; please check with your local library for up-to-date information about their meeting policies.
- Tutoring locations should not present a hardship to student or tutor, by requiring a long travel distance, obligation to buy a coffee, entrance fee, etc.
- Our meeting policy does not permit home tutoring, or tutors and students driving each other to or from tutoring sessions.
- Please bear in mind that many students will agree with a tutor out of deference – please tell your student that they can say “no” to face-to-face sessions if they are not yet comfortable with that option.
- LVSC cannot guarantee or verify whether a student or tutor has been vaccinated. If either you or your student has any hesitation about meeting face-to-face, please do not meet in-person.
I’m vaccinated but my student said they are not vaccinated and don’t plan on getting vaccinated. What should I do?
People may choose not to vaccinate for a variety of reasons; please be respectful and sensitive to each individual’s choices. If you are not comfortable working with a student face-to-face, please continue to work remotely or contact our office to discuss your specific match.
Remote tutoring is working for us. Do we have to resume meeting in person?
No. You are welcome to continue meeting remotely. LVSC will be offering a hybrid program going forward. Students and tutors can choose the option that works best for their sessions.
Will conversation groups meet face-to-face?
At this time, conversation groups will remain virtual through the end of 2021. In January 2022 we plan to offer several groups in the library face-to-face and other groups on Zoom. This decision was made based on the comfort level of group leaders and the availability of space in the library. Please keep in mind that plans may change depending on public health conditions.
When will LVSC staff return to the office?
Staff is meeting with volunteers in the office on an appointment-only basis. We are following state guidance regarding mask wearing and distancing in the office. When not in the office, we will continue to work from home.