Confidential and Student-Centered
Free weekly tutoring for adults from a trained volunteer. Get help reading, writing, and speaking in English.
To get a tutor:
- Apply online: click here.
- Literacy Volunteers of Somerset County will call you to take a short English test (assessment). There is a $10 fee. During COVID-19, the English test will be on the phone.
- Literacy Volunteers of Somerset County will contact you when a tutor can meet with you. There is a $50 administrative fee when you are matched with a tutor.
- You will meet every week with your tutor. Together you choose the time and a public place to meet. Weekly tutoring is free! During COVID-19, tutoring will be on video or on the phone.
- Work with your tutor on your personal goals. Examples of personal goals:
- Read to your children
- Complete a job application
- Get a driver's license
- Become a U.S. citizen
- Understand job-related materials
- Talk with children's teachers and help with homework
- Read menus, medicine bottles, and street signs
- ...and much more!